My First Time In Africa – Kenya Day 4

Either you guessed it, (or just read the title), but this is, in fact, another post about my little Kenya adventure.
And yes. There are more to come after this one. And yes. It may take me a 1000 years to write them, but they will be written one day πŸ˜›

To be honest, me writing this post was actually just another way for me to procrastinate writing my three assignments for school. I had this idea that I would be super productive last weekend, but instead I kind of, or not kind of, I like actually (figuratively) really did fall into a hole, and when I started writing this post it was already past 8 pm and I’d done literally nothing that Saturday. And as you can see, I only just finished it.


Is it just me or do you ever get so stressed out and stuck in your own head that you’re genuinely incapable of doing anything? Even though not doing the things you should stresses you out even more?? Even though it totally doesn’t make sense, like, at all???
My way of coping was to take a 1 1/2 hour nap and drink a glass of wine. Just keeping it real for you guys.

ANYWHO. Let’s get past this rather depressive, very tmi introduction and let’s see what I remember about Kenya shall we?

Settle in kiddoes cuz it’s story time.
*clears throat*

So yes, in my previous post I wrote about day 3, so if you want to read that as well, you’re more than welcome πŸ™‚

Kenya day 4

Day 4:
October 5th

A few of us started the day off with a little run with Astrid, the Danish girl who’d been interning at Momentum Trust for a few weeks. She’d said that she usually ran in the mornings, and that she’d love for us to join her. Me, a person who hates getting up early and has a general dislike for running, thought, hey why not?
So we got up at 6am and ran around 4 km. It felt a bit silly to be doing exercise – burning calories voluntarily – when the locals would never dream of using their energy for that. I totally understood the funny looks we got. Overall the running part itself wasn’t great, but the surroundings looked beautiful in the early morning, and I also thought that the fact that we’d been on a run in Kenya was pretty cool πŸ˜›


After breakfast we went to visit a school nearby. When we arrived the teachers went to the principals office and the rest of us waited outside. Next to the building there was a big field and kids from the primary school were running around and playing.
At first the students seemed very shy, and they didn’t want to come near us, but then we waved at them and suddenly they were very eager to say hi. It almost seemed like the entire body of the primary school had come over, and so we were literally surrounded by little kids. When their bell rang, they all rushed away, and I remember being surprised by how quickly everything was quiet again.


After that we were welcomed and given a quick tour of the school. We were split into pairs and every pair was assigned to a class at the secondary school that they would be having two classes with. In my class the students were all around 16 years old and they were up to 50 in a class! (I’m used to 26 students so I thought it was A LOT).
They were all very talkative and interested in our lives. And for some reason, they had a lot of trouble with pronouncing my name πŸ˜›

We had Swahili and Biology with them. It was quite interesting to see what they were taught, and what methods were used to teach them. I understood nothing of the Swahili lesson, but things got fun when we got to Biology. The class was about the menstrual cycle and sex hormones, which, as you can imagine, was quite hilarious and embarrassing for some of them. They all acted kind of like how my classmates and I did in 4th grade during sex ed.
Even though the schools main goal seemed to be to teach the students to abstain from sex, the students still weren’t afraid to ask questions. I thought that was great. Also, apparently they were taught that the correct way to talk about ∼doing the deed∼ was to say “to play sex” instead of “to have sex”. I found that quite odd, but also pretty funny.


After class, a lot of the students wanted to help us get our chairs out, and they asked us a bunch of questions about Denmark, the birthmark on my arm, why I was wearing my glasses and why I’d chosen to cut my hair short. It was a little bit overwhelming but we had a lot of fun taking selfies with them. Unfortunately we had to leave pretty quickly, so after there’d been a small assembly where we’d given them a few presents, it was time for us to go.

We went straight to a small local health clinic, where we’d arranged to be given a tour. Different doctors and nurses told us about how they treated malaria og HIV, and it was interesting to see how different their methods were compared to in Denmark. We also kinda doubted whether all the information they gave us was actually true since some of it sounded really strange.

When we got back to village at around 5pm, we all had to go to the market square. A couple of people from the village had arranged some entertainment for us which consisted of music and dance. They played their instruments, and they wanted us to get up and dance. Literally the entire village came to watch us dance with the little kids. They kept playing and playing for a little more than an hour before they gave us a short break. Then they resumed for another 30 minutes. It was really hard and by the end I was a sweaty mess.
The entire experience was really fun, peculiar and very very different. Everything about the music and the way of dancing was different from what we were used to, so we were definitely challenged. We probably also made complete fools of ourselves. Not probably – most definitely. I just couldn’t move my body like they did. But the important thing was that we had fun – even though it was tiring.

This was taken in the beginning, before the entire village came to watch us dance πŸ˜›

As a way to end off our last day in Siaya, we ate dinner with two of the employees from Momentum Trust. They were two really cool guys, and we had a lot of fun discussing different things about Kenya and Denmark with them.

The last thing we did before we went to bed was to go stargazing. The night sky looked absolutely incredible because of the lack of light pollution. For the first time in my life I saw the Milky Way. That was pretty darn cool. Even though I love looking at the stars I didn’t stay long. The damn mosquitoes loved me too much πŸ˜›


So yeah, that was a very long post about my fourth day in Kenya. By now it’s almost been a year since our adventure and I’m really enjoying writing all of this down. It’s like a little travel journey for myself. Except, of course, that’s it’s public and that I chose to share it with you guys πŸ™‚

What do you think would have been your favourite part of this day? And just because I’m curious; have you ever heard someone use the term “to play sex”?

Don’t be afraid to share your thoughts!

Thanks for reading xx

4 thoughts on “My First Time In Africa – Kenya Day 4

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s